The Listing Photo

The Listing Photo

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Now that I have a computer that works.......

Oh, ya gotta laugh.  There have been so many things that have happened in these past months that I have wanted to write about, and could not, or, it was too hard with my existing technology, and so, I let pass.  Great stories.  Fantasitc quotes from books I was reading.  Wonderful experiences.  And some really wonderful folks that I have met, or made friends with, or crossed paths with.  (Sorry Mrs. Hannon for the crappy grammar.)

This one happened tonight, so I sit here on AF and write.  (Normally, I try to be positive.  No last names. No politics.  Nothing negative.)  BUT .......

We ALL have used Google.  Here, if you are reading this, you might note that Google provides me with a great and free place to blog.  I also have a GMail account but do not use it.  (It always asks me to put in a subject line and I don't do that very often.)  And there are so many other places that Google provides me (us) with "free" stuff.  It has always puzzled me, being an old guy without a lot of internet knowledge, just why Google's IP was valued so high, and why this company that gave everything away for free was so valuable.  Is it really because they showed us an advertisement when we "Googled" something?

Well, tonight George and I found out.  He was laughing when I sat down at his table at Justin's hotel.  "Dennis.  I swear.  These people are reading my emails and sending me advertisements that match up to what I write.  I mean, I just sent someone an email about wiring some money, and Google sent me an advertisement about money wires.  They have to be reading my emails."

So, George tested the theory.  He sent emails to himself.  10 of them.  Need to buy property - "Roatan properties for sale." came the advertisement.   Need to buy helicopter - "Honduras helicoptor rides."  Need snowmobile and snow shovel info - "Tours on snowmobiles" 10 tries and 9 Google advertisements based on the content of the emails - NOT the subject line.  (They did not reply to the one for sex toys!)

If they can do it, so can the government, OR they are selling to the government.  And now, I understand why Google is such a valuable company.  An old man is waking up.........

No comments:

Post a Comment