The Listing Photo

The Listing Photo

Monday, February 28, 2011

Everyday Life.....

Life for me is pretty basic and becoming something of a routine. A good routine, mind you. (Lately, I get up at 8am, make my coffee and drink it with a local sugar biscuit, run my little jog out the beaches, do some needed sit ups and a few push ups, and internet.) The trade winds are back - strong at night, but keep the clouds cleared away and the sun on the beach can bake you, and you dont know it because of the breeze. So a few hours on the beach, reading - I read about 3 books a week lately - or watching the ladies walk by. A few orange juices followed often by a few rum and orange juices, rum and Coke, or beers. Some lunch on the boat, or early dinner sometimes, a nap often fits in late in the day, and after some dinner, return to the bar to see what is about that night.
Occasionally, the routine is broken by some nice folks - sometimes boaters, and other times, guests at the resort. Below is Emilio and his daughter, Paloma. He is a retired Iberia Air pilot, flying for a tiny airline in Guatemala now, and she owns a small restaurant in what they describe as a beautiful village in Southeast Spain. She sent me photos on Facebook, and it is beautful. Also, her mother owns a small hotel in Morocco, and the photos of that are amazing.
This wonderful couple have an amazing friendship and closeness now, and I was glad to invite them for another rum and Coke on AF, along with my buddy, Rene - the Austrian, who bought me a beer in Guatemala one day. His gf, Petra has returned to Vienna, and he is deciding where to leave his boat for the season - return to the Rio Dulce, or leave it on the hard here at the new ship yard.
Anyway, Emilio and Paloma are 2 special people and I am so glad to have met them. You might remember that I feed the Watusas every day. I whistle and they come running. Because I am alone, there are never any pictures of me doing it, but Skip was here one day on his boat, and asked to 'feed my kids."

A funny thing happened the other day. When I whistled and they came running - about 5 of them just now - I noticed a small iguana coming as well. Now he responds and comes running, and has started to take the bread or cookie out of my hand, like the 'rabbits' do, although he whips his tail at them - his defense, even with those mean countenances. I understand that a large one can leave quite a welt on your leg if they whip a man.

So that is a taste of my life lately. Not too special, but - hey, not too shabby, either.
Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment