The Listing Photo

The Listing Photo

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A suggestion

I would like to recommend to those of you who follow here, a youtube channel just set up by my friend, Drake, from s/v Paragon. www.youtube/drakeParagon.com

I met Drake in Bermuda, where he, along with then-girlfriend, Erin, came to AF to assist me in removing the jib from the furler and folding it, so that I could take it in to the sailmaker. It was a task I had never performed, and the sail itself is bulky and heavy, and was difficult to handle alone. I could not have done it without their help.

Later, Drake and I had a rather harrowing experience late one night, searching for his tender which had come untied at the St George dock. At the time, we were both a bit scared, I think, as the wind and tide were blowing us out the cut in the harbor when my engine failed us, and we ran aground on a breakwater for a moment. We did not recover the tender, nor was it ever found in Bermuda. Drake was sick at his loss.

Drake's videos - 6 in all - document his trip from NYC to Bermuda. He enjoyed the same seas that broke my steering, and towed a sailboat in distress for a long way, towards Bermuda. The experience was not the most pleasant, as the captain of the boat in distress, had no money to reimburse Drake for spent diesel, allowed the 2 boats to collide causing damage to each, and seemed to me to prove himself quite a butt-head later when I met him in St. George.

At this time I have not viewed all 6, as the internet connection is fairly slow, but have seen No 1 and jumped ahead to No 4 and wait for it to load as I type this. So, if you would like a very nice look at what life is like aboard a boat being single handed as I do, take some time and check out Drake's videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment