The Listing Photo

The Listing Photo

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Cold and Rainy in Baltimore

Phew! What a week! I came down to Baltimore last weekend, to move the boat to Annapolis on Monday for a haul out and bottom paint on Tuesday. Spent Monday morning trying to save the sale of my rental properties and realized later that afternoon that I couldn't make Annpolis in daylight, so kept working and departed about 830 pm. Putted down the Chesapeake and arrived about 4am and cruised up and down the Severn River (to Paul's Hidey Hole) until 730 am when I called the boat yard. Went in slowly to find the yard docks crammed with yachts for the power boat show and the way in to the lift slip was lined on both sides with new yachts, but there was a man on the stern of each with a boat hook, in case I lost it and got too close. It went perfectly and I crept in with out incident. AF was on the hard within an hour, and one of my nightmares proved wrong. The bottom was in pretty good shape. My brother drove down and took me back to Baltimore and we drove up to York, Pa where they bought me dinner and a couple scotches, and I crashed after being up for 36 hours straight.

Here is a pic of AF in the lift slings as they brought her to land:

I worked on my home on Alden Road until midnight Thursday and got up at 3am and drove down to Baltimore where I parked and Wes here at Inner Harbor East drove me down to pick up AF. Thanks, Wes. I called ahead and AF was launched when I arrived, and I was able to get underway about 2 pm, after worrying about backing out of this narrow slip. Out came the guys with boat hooks, manning the sterns again, but I crept out, and the fellow hollered, "What did you need us for?" But there had been a Nor'eastern the day before, and I went right out into the remnants - 25 mph winds from the north, and chop and drove at about 1.9 knots for many hours, and slower when the gusts hit just right. But the further north the calmer it became and by 9pm, when I arrived at Inner Harbor, it was glass and no wind, so I brought her into the slip alone with no troubles. Just plain worn out.

I got the power hooked up and walked directly up to town to James Joyce Irish Pub, and ordered 2 meals, and some vodka, as I hadn't eaten all day and was frozen stiff (Did I mention it was also 42 degrees when I left Annapolis?) Out having a smoke, a fellow spoke to me, and I asked him and his 3 buddies to join me. They are here for the schooner races and were living on his boat, and had had the cr+p beaten out of them just getting to the starting line, so quit, anchored and drank. Great guys on an interesting old boat, and we have just returned Sat. night from carousing Fell's Pt together.

And the rain continues. But I have my WM space heaters - thanks, Bart - and the boat is relatively dry and warm and she sports 2 coats of new bottom paint, and new zincs, and a greased up prop.

What a great life I have now. Even after freezing my fingers and feet for 7 hours in the fog and rain, when I arrived here safely, I thanked God, and Annah and Foster for this wonderful life I have now. I LOVED it!

No comments:

Post a Comment