The Listing Photo

The Listing Photo

Monday, July 5, 2010

Fantasy Island Resort and Marina, Roatan

Battered, and literally, tattered, Annah Foster sits, tied to the back dock at Fantasy Island Marina. The trees drop their leaves and pine needles drop their needles and the deck is cluttered enough that I am going to ask Jerry if he has a leaf blower I can borrow.The island is inhabited by an incredible number of different lizards and iguanas (are they the same) I have seen the Jesus Christ lizard, which runs on its hind legs and can do so over water, where it gets its name. But here is an assortment of those I have been able to photograph.This guy is just beautiful, and seems to rule the roost in this one area in front of the hotel entrance.Peacocks strut around, with ducks and geese, and this morning I found a pile of scat that I suspect is some breed of deer, but I have not seen any yet.Have only seen the monkeys once, and did not have the camera with me.

This is the pool area.The beach area. The reef you see out a bit is apparently a pretty nice dive site, as I have seen the dive boats moored just on the other side. Roatan must be an incredible dive area.The beautiful cat behind me is owned by 2 of my saviors, Chris and Laura ( she brought me the beers when they came out to tow me in.) Big happy smile from me the first night I was here. Jerry postponed the BBQ a day waiting for me to arrive, or so he said. (Shh! I hear the weather just wasn't great the day before.) But so proud to have my picture taken with 2 of my heroes.
Finally had a bit of a chance to return the favor, now that the ice maker is working. Invited them, and their jack russell terrior, Skupper over for some Dark and Stormy's last night. Scupper enjoys retrieving thrown plastic water bottles and bugs the heck out of you until you throw it again. He also likes to do the same with coconuts.
So this afternoon, while picking through my 2nd Bojangles chicken breast (Yup. Bojangle's. They also have an Appleby's next door to that.), they buzzed up on their tender and went aboard. A few minutes later, I turned and there, 8 inches from my shoulder is Scupper, quiet as a church mouse and just staring at my chicken. I never heard a thing - not a breath or a tick of his claws on the deck. Now that he knows where I live and how to navigate around my deck, he just snuck away for a visit. His reward was sharing half of that last chicken breast, and a bowl of ice water. Smart dog, and another new friend. So that is a quick look at where I am spending my days, recovering from the long voyage from St. Martin, and preparing for what I hope is a short trip to Guatemala. Weather seems to be an issue again, as there is another low pressure mess forming just north of us. Rain chased me from the cockpit last night, and it looks like it might rain some more through Sunday.
Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment