The Listing Photo

The Listing Photo

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A couple trips away from the boat

The other day, I walked out to the guard gate here at Fantasy Island Resort, and asked the guard there to call me a cab, with an English speaking driver, as I had several stops to make. I was fortunate enough that he called my new buddy, Edgar, who is a year or 2 younger than I. (I had several stops to make and didn't want any hassle from a driver trying to take advantage of me or, worse, abandoning me.) Edgar showed up in his navy blue car/van and after agreeing to the price, we took off. He ended up dropping me at what is supposed to be one of the nicest restaurants on the island (voted in the top 100 Central American restaurants, each year - Shrimp cocktail, steak and crab surf and turf, several gin and tonics and a tiny piece of cheese cake - $35) and agreed to return in an hour and half, to take me back home. I took much longer to eat and he arrived when my main course was being served and agreed to sit with me, drinking a couple of beers while I ate and we talked. He was so nice to me, and I enjoyed his company and stories so much that I asked him to drive for me the next day, for a trip to Coxen Hole, in search for a few things I needed - a travel alarm clock, a cooking timer (Don't ask...), a rat trap (Really, don't ask....), and a small window air conditioner, which I have been told will be more efficient and cheaper to use than my marine heat pump units. Off we go to Coxen Hole.I was hungry for some lunch so we stopped here. I had a nice BBQ beef ribs plate, and Edgar had the chicken vegetable soup, which really smelled a lot like my mom's. The chef/owner used to work on cargo boats and knows St. Martin very well, and was quite impressed that I had sailed it straight through and alone.
That is Edgar, whose nickname is Bin Laden, and that is his blue taxi van.At one of the hardware stores we stopped at, I saw a familiar box, and couldn't resist snapping a picture. I could never guess how many of these I have carried from a delivery truck and later torn open, filled with pvc plumbing fittings - all over 25 years ago.


When we reached Coxen Hole, we parked the taxi in front of Edgar's daughters' stores. One of the twins is married to a man who makes windows and glass doors, and on the other end of the building, his oldest daughter, Pearla, owns a small convience type store. From there, we decided it was easier to walk and I really enjoyed walking from each tiny store to the next, and would never have done it without an English speaking guide. We walked quite a bit, and visited a lot of local stores, and several appliance and hardware stores where I may have found an air conditioner. I DID find a rat trap. Taking a short cut, back to the cab, we climbed a bit of a hill, with this old clock tower, which served the hole community at one time.The works are long gone, but the pretty dial is still there, as the tower crumbles.Edgar led me up the the hill through a maze of tightly packed houses. This is the tour that tourists never get and I would never have had without a local along with me.Edgar and I got along like old buddies, but I was surprised when he invited me to dinner at his home on Sunday evening. Pearla, his oldest daughter would be cooking and asked if I like shrimp. I asked what I could bring along and she said she liked red wine, so on the way back to AF, Edgar and I stopped at Eldon's for a couple bottles of Peruvian merlot and some beers. He took them home to they would be cold for dinner Sunday.

I must say that I was very hesitant at first, to take any pictures, and wish now that I had been more bold (or rude) to ask to take some of the grandchildren and also his other twin daughter, as well as the food and the big pot on the stove. But, as it worked out, I had bought a cake for our BBQ here at Fantasy Island, and it was not needed so I brought it along, and prior to cutting, I took this picture of Edgar's other twin, Jackie. She is about 23, I think, with 2 children.

This is Pearla, who was the chef that night. She made a delicious meal for me, Edgar, David, his son, and Jackie as well. After dinner, Edgar snapped this pic for me. But Pearla had also cooked for the rest of the family, a separate meal, which was on the stove in a HUGE aluminum pot, and is a local delicacy - a type of stew with every meat in it - ham, beef, crab, fish, lobster, octopus or squid - and lots of vegetables. The rest of the family ate this prior to my arrival, but I was still hungry and asked for a plate to try it out. Like the shrimp and garlic dinner she had made for me, it was delicious.That is David, Pearla, me, and Jackie before we cut the cake. David lived in the US for a year, and speaks great English. He is an assistant engineer at the power company now. Jackie works for the fire department.A hug with Pearla and thanks for the great meal!Edgar, drinking another glass of wine! And thanks for a great evening - he says I am part of the family now.Edgar's wife finally came home from church, in time for a piece of cake and a picture.Jackie, outside, with one of her 2 children.The next day, another local friend asked me if I wanted to ride along with him, as he had to go to West End for a little bit of business. Great trip, and very touristy part of the island.

On the way back, we stopped at a business to check on a tire he had dropped off the other day. There was a very nice dump truck getting a tire there - very well cared for, and obviously, the owner took great pride in it. And a rather trailor whose floor has seen better days, as well. So, for friend Bart, back home, I took a few pictures of it as well as the equipment being stored at the business next door.
But maybe the coolest part of the the trip is this home. Put together by a local fellow, with a stucco and cement outside, it is made from a shipping container. Looks a lot like the mobile home that I started my life in back about 1975, but smaller. Maybe could become the next Casa Denny if I ever decide to buy a little nest on land.

No comments:

Post a Comment