The Listing Photo

The Listing Photo

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Roatan Pictures

On several rides away from the resort, I have snapped some pictures out of the taxi windows. Thought I would share with you some, to give you some idea of what life looks like here. I think this house is cute - probably owned by an expat - and have been told it would cost about $250,000. Not cheap, in my opinion, and in fact, I have heard of no real bargains here.


Edgar, the taxi driver who invited me home for dinner with his family, lives up this hill, in a community call La Forte. It was taken by force, by mainland Hondurans, who came to the island after it was turned over to Honduras. Just a few years ago, there were nightly gun battles here - sorta like Washington or Baltimore, I think - but the police clamped down hard, and in several trips through the area, I have seen a constant police presence here, now.


Up on that hill, somewhere, is the back of Edgar's home.





This is an Office Park.



This mansion is owned by the man who was mayor here. Not sure what town he was mayor of, nor am I sure when he was mayor, but each taxi driver has identified the house as being the former mayor's.




One of the two cruise line docks here.












This is the control tower for the airport, which is across the road, and almost at sea level. Since this hill is blocking the view for the tower controllers, they built the tower on top of it. Continental Airlines serves the island from Houston, TX, as well, of course of regional Latin American airlines.


The road up to the tower is almost one lane only.


But the view is worth the climb.

I think this is the 2nd cruise line facility.






The airport runway from the hilltop.


Downtown Coxen Hole.

At lunch, these 2 Digicel Girls were flirting openly with me - the 'rich Gringo'. 18 and 21 years old! Good for the ego! (Do you really think they found me attractive - a 57 yo fat American?)


These children gathered for several pictures, and eagerly wanted to see them on the little display screen on the camera. They hang out at Perla's store each day, perhaps after school, but not all kids even go to school, so I don't know.








A group of 3 children were moving these cows one day to a different pasture, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment