The Listing Photo

The Listing Photo

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A nice surprise today

I had a shock today while my buddy, Roque - who refers to himself as Rocky - came by for a visit on his day off from his job in the restaurant here at the resort. He brought his brother, Walter along as well, but Walter is pretty quiet and speaks very little English. While staring into the water just on the other side of the dock, Rocky spotted an octopus. How cool! There is a small pile of crab shells and pieces of conch just downhill from where he sits, so I assume he has been here a while and this is home.

I am just thrilled at this, as this is the first time I have ever seen one in the wild. A blob, sitting on a rock in 18 inches of water. I took a few pics but they didn't show him very well and gave up. I took Roque and Walter out for a quick snorkle on the reef and he brought 2 small conch's back that he picked up in the sand, and we put them into the water just where the octopus was sitting. I got the above video just as he was moving over to inspect one of the conch's and just before he moves, you can see him shoot one tenacle out and miss taking one of the small fish who came to inspect the conch as well.


This is just a great thrill for me. I find it so - well - amazing. There were never any of these in any of my previous back yards and I am so blessed to see this today. I really hope that everyday when I step off AF, I can lean over the dock and see my neighbor. Is so much more cool than that baracuda.

2 comments:

  1. An Octopus. How cool is that!
    I guess he'll be sure and get some treats from you.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad I found someone else who thinks this is cool! Thanks Erin.

    Yep - Gonna bring back some small conchs when I take a swim, and place them there for him, although he has quite a pile of crab shells, lobster legs, and dead conchs in his bone pile already.

    ReplyDelete