The Listing Photo

The Listing Photo

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Life in General

I snapped some pictures the other day on the way to the grocery store, and thought you might like to see what my life is like now, here on Isla de Roatan, just for a simple trip to the store. The dink ride, which I have shown in a previous post, is short - perhaps 1 or 2 miles. I arrive at the "Shrimp Dock", owned by "Mr. Bobby". Because of his benevolence, we cruisers have a safe place to park our tenders, and a nice walk to the big grocery store, or other stores. It also saves a few dollars, should you need a taxi. I have never yet locked the dink there, even though I am sure our outboards and junk in the tender is a great temptation for thieves. But they seem to value their jobs, and respect us. Most times, they do not even have eye contact with me, although a couple times a lone man will smile and nod with a friendly, "Hola."

I find my way through whatever shrimp boats are parked there for maintenance. (I learned yesterday that shrimp boat owners are putting a lot of money in repairs and maintenance here, in hopes of profiting from the oil spill in the Gulf that is ruining the US shrimp boat fleet.)


Here is another tender tied up and you can just make out my green-painted 15hp Yamaha, in the bottom left of the picture.Another shot of the same, with my dark brown back pack sitting on the dock. (Thanks, Denise. It is still going strong, but the salt air and water is taking a toll on the zippers.)At the end of the dock, I walk over these boards that will make moving something heavy on a handcart a bit easier. Forward, and I am faced with a nice walk up a hill. Sometimes a chihuahua comes out of one of the homes or buildings to harass me a bit.Up this hill - it is a longer climb than it appears here - past a lovely home on the left. Probably a manager's or child's of Mr Bobby, as the vehicles there are always clean, and new, and expensive looking.This is the house that is on my left as I climb.On my right are several beautiful pastures, usually with 15-20 Brahma cows, but the day I took these pictures, they were no where to see. But is a beautiful climb.The second pasture:Obligatory chickens and rooster, running around, wild, as far as I can see. On the left side of this hill is a riding pasture and stables, as I guess Mr. Bobby likes horses and riding. He has a riding ring out at the front of the property, in front of his house, which also has a guard shack, with a guard always with a 12 ga slung over his shoulder, which discourages me to take a picture of his home.If you look carefully at this home, yiou will see 3 front doors. It is the home to 3 diffferent people.The obligatory broken-down school bus, just at the crest of the hill.And another 100 feet, and you are standing near the road, looking down at "Eldon's", one of 2 grocery stores.Snapped this picture the other day. This guy is not like the other iguana's here. He is a carnivore, and I enjoyed watching his hunting prowess and strategy for 10 or 15 minutes, as he passed.
So, that is a little taste of my day to day life here on Roatan.

No comments:

Post a Comment