The Listing Photo

The Listing Photo

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Dîner Avec Mes Amis

When I met Jean and Josianne in Bermuda, (Gee - how many months ago has it been now?) they invited me to dine aboard Kurika several times, and met me with huge smiles and open arms the day I arrived in Marigot. Jean is all charm with that big long mustache and Josieanne is a sweet and petite doll. They whisked me off immediately to their friend, Bernard's place at the Time Out Boat Yard, where I ate my first meal here. Two days later, I was loaded into their friend, Peggy's car and we all drove up into the hills, where I enjoyed my Christmas dinner - an afternoon of good food and laughter - even if I did not understand what was being said much of the time. Peggy's husband, Paul, was in France, taking care of some family matters, but, when he returned to St. Martin, he met me with a big smile and open heart. He is one of those people who has sparkling eyes and an infectious smile that no one can refuse to return. Alain, to me, is such an interesting man, who lives an extraordinary life, and I only wish that I could speak French properly so that we could talk together more. He is also an interesting face to photograph, as is my friend Jean - quite a character study. And, of course, Bernard has since welcomed me to his table for dozens of meals, I think, as well as more than a few Heinekins in the shade of his covered picnic table. It was long overdue for me to offer to feed them, as a way to say thank you for all of their kindnesses and hospitality.
So, I planned a menu several times in my mind. What can I prepare for FRENCH people (the folks who have refined cooking to its highest level and make an evening meal last all evening), which I could make in my tiny galley, transport easily in the dink, and would be an "All American" meal? How does Spanish gazpacho, Italian lasagna, and French crepes sound? Not too American, but, in truth is ALL American, since our dishes are sourced from so many regions of the world. I happen to love my sister-in-law Patty's recipe for Pennsylvania Dutch pasta salad, so I planned a batch of it as well, to stretch the meal should it not be enough for 7 people. So, there was something American served. Jean and Josianne depart Saturday for a week or 10 days away, visiting with a friend of Josianne, who is vacationing near by, so Friday was set for dinner.
I shopped Tuesday, and Wednesday, taking Alain along to see the Dutch side on one trip, and worked for 2 days solid at peeling and chopping vegetables, boiling pasta, and cooking. It was fun, but tedious and hot, as I am not so "at home" in a kitchen, and now, with a tiny galley, it would be a challenge to learn how to work in such a small space. Bernard hosted at his wonderful picnic table which sits almost under the bow of his boat on the hard, Norvalo, and agreed to bake the lasagna for me. We dined slowly, in courses as the French do. Alain had agreed to show me how to make crepes as my test batch were rubbery and thick but we decided that they were going to be too much, so we finished with baguette and fromage. Paul brought along a BIG bottle of his home-made rum punch which was my preferred drink of the night and Bernard added a few bottles of wine, and we had a great meal, laughing and talking together. They tease me, as Paul and Joyce do, about how long it will take me to repair my hydraulics and so, can depart! I always answer the same - "Tomorrow. Always Tomorrow!"

When I dropped off the lasagna in the afternoon, I found Alain putting the 2nd coat of primer paint on Norvalo. She is going to be beautiful, I think.

Alain - taking a break..............while Bernard mixed the paint and watched. We, of course, enjoyed the obligatory beer in the shade while Alain rolled paint. Oh, and we also moved the scaffolding, as well. Tough work, eh?!Cheers!
They are all so kind to stop and translate for me what is being said or laughed at. Josieanne has the best English, but Jean's and Bernard's is very good as well.And even Peggy speaks to me in English, which is a lot better than my French. Upon learning that my birthday is approaching, Paul and Peggy have invited us all back for a meal next Friday to celebrate it.
Bernard has begun to insist that I plan a visit soon, to France, so that he can show me his home, and country - the south of France. He really liked the gazpacho and grows a garden at home with all of the ingredients, so I have copied the recipe for him. The invitation has now taken on a more serious note, when dinner was paused last night, while Bernard translated Alain's rather emphatic and insistant invitation to a feast he is planning at his chateau in Caderousse, in May. But, he added that I might have to do some work "around the house" while visiting. I told him that my secret to get out of the work, is to do BAD work, and then I will get fired!

We looked at Alain's castle from space on Google Earth, and I showed Bernard my former home on Google Street, which intrigued him, so we put in his mother's address in France, and he was amazed to find that he can now take a drive down her street, from half way around the world.
It might be best, that today, I return at noon, and Alain, and Bernard, and I will eat the leftovers, and perhaps Alain will show me how to make the crepes, as well. Such wonderful people.

Cheers to my new friends! or rather - Cheers à mes nouveaux amis!

No comments:

Post a Comment