The Listing Photo

The Listing Photo

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Face Paint, French Villas and Cuban Cigars

Ellie, the owner of Lagoonies, threw a Valentine's Day party for single folk Sunday night. Everyone there had a blast, I think. Early on, my new German friend, Michael came back to the table with some face paint on, and I asked him who had done it. It was a friend he had made in Turkey. One of two Israeli sisters. So, I found her, and had mine done, just because it is so out of character for the old me.

While having it done, the best outboard guy on the island, Gary, came in, and looked down at me and laughed, and I said, "Don't say ANYTHING!" He laughed again and shook his head. He was joined by Graham's mate, Dave, from England (Gonna go have a Jimmy! ) and I snapped a pic of them. Then Gary was nice enough to take the pics of me, but laughing and shaking his head in amazement the whole time.
At my table, was Angie, a German friend who Michael has known for years as they have crossed paths while sailing the Med, Bob an out of work airplane mechanic who is spending major bucks re-doing his sailboat at the rigger's yard here and who went out nightclubbing with Christine and me a few weeks ago, Michael, my new German buddy, and a married Canadian lady who's husband has returned to Canada to take care of some business.
Michael, Canadian lady, Me, and Bob. The horns are courtesy of the crazy Italian, who MC'ed and played the dance music for the night. Damn. We had fun.
My friend Jean introduced me to Bernard when I arrived before Christmas, and he has introduced me to Alain, who is a 'boat guest' for a while, giving Bernard some help sanding and painting his hull. Alain owns a villa in the south of France, which he bought in ruins about 25 years ago. He said it had been empty for years, and no one wanted it. He quit his job in advertising, and devoted the next 20 years re-building this stone mansion., and did it all himself, with no outside tradesmen, including putting in the pool and planting all of the trees and gardens. I have finally figured out how to take a screenshot of the video of pictures of it, so am including some here. Can you imagine - 20 years to re-build it! He says it is still ongoing. But he rents it out now 'in the season' for about $5000 a week. Contact me if you are interested in a couple months, and I will pass your name on to him.
I guess when the weather is perfect nearly all of the time, you can have your kitchen outside.
And you can eat outside, too.Or inside.Nice digs, huh?

Joined Michael and Bob for all-u-can-eat ribs at Lady C's and a few drinks afterwards. There was a man and 2 women at the bar who were in need of a ride back to the boat they had just delivered from Cuba. (Ferro-Cement! Geesh!) It was on my way home, so I dropped them off. As reward, the captain gave me his copy of Calder's Cuba Cruising Guide, a Cruising Guide for the Dominican Republic on CD, and 2 Cuban cigars. Tonight, I shall enjoy a glass of wine on deck, along with one of the 2 cigars. It will be my first ever Cuban.
Jean just stopped by to say that Josieanne is returning from France today at 3, so I must clean up for supper at Bernard's to welcome her back.
Here we go again..........Life is good.

1 comment: