The Listing Photo

The Listing Photo

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Front Yards

I received a couple emails today, with photos of the snow storm back home. Below is the house that is next door to the one I was raised in, courtesy of Bob, a long time friend, and, now, former neighbor. He wrote that he measured 21" of snow, I think. Looks like he really busted his butt to get his drive cleared, and with a bad knee, too.
And this photo was sent to me by my brother's friend, John, who now lives in Carnegie, PA, which neighbors my community. John has become an avid follower of My Last Adventure, and emails me often with encouragement and news from home. It measured 19", I think.
And this is my front yard, today. Which do YOU prefer?
And while I am at it, here is my back yard.
Yesterday, after placing a post for Anna and Andrew back home, I looked out on my bow, and saw a big bird sitting there. So I grabbed the camera and took these photos, before he flew away. I hope that Anna and Andrew will see them. He is a Cormorant. Cormorants can fly and also swim underwater. They fly above the water until they see some fish, and dive straight in, and, using their wings as paddles, swim after the fish.But he was not scared at all of me, and even though I leaned way out of the cockpit to take some pictures, he didn't seem to care at all.
He even yawned at me, like he was sleepy or bored. And this morning, I rode over to new friend, Ellison's boat, and as we were preparing to depart, he looked down in the water, and saw this rather large fish (we think trumpet fish) sort of hanging around my outboard propeller. He did not want to leave, and even let Ellison pet him. That is Ellisons hand in the photo, with one finger pointed out, petting him. The fish even turned on his side for his rub. We had to shooo him away before we could start the engine up.
Ellison has sailed across the Atlantic and back again, twice, one time single handing, on his 32 foot boat. He works now, to build up the sailing kitty as a mechanic for a sailboat charter company. He offered to come and look at my hydraulic situation in exchange for my help, getting his boat to a boatyard dock to fill the water tanks. I used my dinghy as a tug boat to push him in closer to the concrete dock, as he has a full keel and his boat is not so easy to steer in close like that. We had to thread a needle to squeeze him in between several other boats tied up there. It worked perfectly, and I pushed his bow around and lined him up for a straight shot to depart. Afterwards, he came to AF and we enjoyed a nice afternoon talking, and sharing experiences at sea. He is a native of some Caribbean country, but served in the US Army, in Iraq, so has an interesting perspective on the world, and politics. He is a much deeper thinker than his dredlocks and necklace might indicate.
Two nights ago, I was in a yacht club bar with some friends for a departure party for a young lady leaving the island yesterday, and as we were departing, I found myself standing at the stern of this modern looking yacht. The staircases were lighted and shining in the dark - all chrome and glass - and we stood and discussed the design. I was with a fellow who says he has a degree in naval design and architecture who raised the level of conversation a lot. So, this morning, I looked out and it was anchored near me, so I rode out and took a couple pics for you. I do not think it is a handsome boat but a pretty unusual design, and the owner must have wanted something that looked different. He sure got it.
It is hard to judge the length of the boat, but I would guess 150-180 feet. You can get some idea looking at the rows of steps on the stern.
When I arrived this evening at the Dutch side, to post these pictures, I discovered it is Super Bowl Sunday. I DID know it was Sunday, but have lost track with this kind of event. Is my new life, and I am so happy to be living without a calendar, so to speak.
I am blessed. Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. Do you have a bird book aboard? That looks like a Boobie to me! And from your picture perhaps the fish is a Cowfish??

    ReplyDelete