The Listing Photo

The Listing Photo

Monday, February 1, 2010

Designs

I visited another Morgan 462 the other day and took some pictures of the salon. Jaime, a Canadian, came by a few days ago to visit here, and to see AF. He has a different salon design, with the original dining table on the starboard side, but, we believe, a re-built set of chairs on the port side. Mine has been re-done at some point, as I have read or heard that what Morgan put there either didn't last or was not so comfortable. I am not sure which. I like the chairs alot, and he even has a piece of plywood which spans both seats, with lee cloth, for a berth when underway. So, I snapped some pics to keep in the event I ever want some ideas for a re-model. His boat does not have the cabinet above the sink, which gives it a much more open and airy feeling, but he loses that stowage to gain it.
Below, I snapped some pics of my hydraulic situation, at the stern, under the berth and center cushions. Using MS Paint, I added some lines as to what the design will require, to give a bit of idea of my troubles in HOW to actually install them. It is easy to draw out the design on paper with Line A going to Port A with Tee A inserted with to accept Line B.

The reservoir is under the starboard mattress, and is difficult to get to thru its own little access panel. I think that I will change the purple relief valve to face forward, and be parallel with the cylinder/ram. I have to cross the bilge/centerline twice with lines, and not sure the best way to do that. Note that the emergency tiller (white verticle pipe) is back on, in case I have to move in an emergency. The 2 rubber hydraulic lines might have been a waste, unless I use them from the purple relief valve to the cylinder.
Friend Bart, in NC, sent me some cheap solar LED yard lights, which I asked for. I have seen folks using them on their boats, either as light for sitting in the cockpit at night, or to mark themselves to other boats at night. A light closer to the water is easier to see, as you whiz by in a tender, than the anchor light, which is very visible from a distance. So, I drilled some holes in the top and strung them with string so they can be hung. (One has already chewed through the string, and fallen to the deck, so, if you look closely on the left side of the 2nd picture below, you can see it propped up in between some stowed SS pipe.) One is shown here - the silver cylinder between the solar panel and wind genny. The other light hanging on the right of picture is an incandescent lamp with a railroad lattern battery and solar eye. I leave it there in case I might depart in the daylight, and return after dark, without having to turn on the anchor light at the top of the mast, to burn for unnecessary hours.Passing rains today, so it might have been imprudent to do laundry, but all of my favorite shirts stink. So I snapped this for you. Taking 4-5 clothes pins to hang in these gusts. I just hope my favorite shirts are still there in an hour or 2.
When doing the laundry, I ran out of water in my 2nd tank, so today, come hell or high water, I must MAKE water. That means that I have used about 190 gallons since departing Bermuda with 2 full tanks. Will be like a sauna in the engine room, but must do it.

But, life is good.

1 comment:

  1. Denny...those led cheap lights are great...for 2 weeks....then the recharagable batts go down....no light after about midnight. ..so sleep well since no one can see you after midnight...ZZZZZZ Capt Paul

    ReplyDelete