The Listing Photo

The Listing Photo

Saturday, April 3, 2010

More Happy Easter!

I am not sure if I have written that I hired a man to come to the boat to finish the work on my steering, and had to throw him off the boat, after 2 hours. It is part of the negative stuff that I have been dealing with lately, and I choose not to mention it in detail here, but the event really upset me for a couple days. A few days later, I talked with a friend of my Aussie buddy Graham, and he agreed to come out and finish the work, which went well. He would stop and ask me to look at his work periodically to make sure he was doing it to my liking, and all in all, it was a good experience, although, he has not tender, so I had to ride over to Simpson Bay each morning and return him again at 5 pm.



There is no word, at this time, from the Pittsburgh attorney whom I hired to work on the tax situation. Several weeks ago, he wrote that his assistant's father had passed away, and that it would be put on the back burner for a while, but enough time has passed that he should be able to determine if he has everything to clean up this mess. I feel unable to plan a departure date from here until I know that either it is solved or on its way to be solved. While I wait, I am paying for very good, but still unreliable, internet access here, as well as maintaining a cell phone, which, by the way, costs the same as I paid for my first in 1986 - 25 cents per minute. My first cell, which had a big box screwed under my van's seat, and a hand set fixed to the dashboard, cost me $100 for 400 minutes each month, and as I recall, would not switch me to the next cell as I drove, but would just drop the call.



I have offered some help in the last month or so to my friend Claire, who found a boat to buy - the Marin Gouin - which I think means the mosquito sailor, but don't quote me on that. Apparently, if you mis-pronounce it in French, it means, Sailing Lesbian. She and Bernard and others have had a lot of fun listening to my terrible French, and this has been one source of laughter for them. The boat, a 30 year old CSY 37 was on the hard in Marigot, but was flagged as a Nederlands Antilles boat, and being sold by French Canadians. So the paper process was a bit complicated, and she asked me once to drive to Phillipsburg to inquire, in English, exactly how the paper process would work, and what was required. After she bought the boat, we were required to take the boat to Phillipsburg, about a 2 hour ride, by motor, for a government inspector to see the boat and the safety equipment.






So, last week, she and I and Bernard drove it up to P-burg and back, in one day, and had a good time. My ribs prevented me from doing anything strenuous, but I did use my dink as a tug boat to push her bow around out of her slip in the marina, and upon our return, back in. Otherwise, I acted as interpreter with the official, and had a good time.


Recently, running the generator, I noticed, for the millionth time perhaps, that the cooling water intake was clogged and the generator was about to over heat. Donning mask and snorkel, I dove on the intake and I was able to remove the trash that had been sucked up into the through-hull opening. It was a rather small piece of plastic. This is the kind of trash that really makes life miserable sometimes, although, sometimes it is only seaweed or grass.My good Buddy, Graham, the Aussie, with mate (POM, Dave) returned for a few days to St Martin, before he completes his job on the catamaran he has captained. He takes it next to Grenada, and then flies to London, and then on to Thailand to pick up a different boat. (What a life, huh?) With his return, came several nights of partying. Last week, Claire joined us and we all had a ball, starting out at Toppers for karaoke, and then sneaking up to see my friend Sam, who is now bartending at a topless bar. Claire agreed to go, for the fun, and she and I entered first, and after waiting a bit, Graham came in for the real surprise for Sammy. She took good care of us with the drinks and we misbehaved properly. I am not sure the time when Claire and I returned to Marigot in the dink, but it was pretty late.


Patrons are not permitted to take photos at the topless bar, but I snapped a couple, just of my friends, not the 'ladies', before being told, by Sam, that it was not allowed. Above is Graham, and below, they try to pose for me whilst I try to hide the camera.


We all had a great dinner the other night with Ellison, and his new girlfriend, Lisa, who is crew on a big yacht. They are both so nice, and would do anything for me, I think. They have asked me if I would like to baby sit their dogs for a week while they visit another island, and stay at their apartment, with use of Ellison's Range Rover. I am not sure if time will allow, but it is something that I am considering. We shall see......Yesterday, Claire, and Bernard and I met a couple who just arrived from South America. I visited them today on their boat for a couple of minutes. They are real cruisers, with no refridgeration, or auto pilot, living on a rather small boat. He is from Brazil, and she, perhaps from Venzuela, and a veterinarian, with both French, English, Portugese and Spanish, and is a wonderful interpreter. They have very little money, living on a real shoestring, and are very appreciative of any kindness. Thinking of inviting them out for spaghettie dinner soon. We shall see.


So, that is some of what has been taking up my time here in St Martin. More later......

No comments:

Post a Comment