The Listing Photo

The Listing Photo

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Flexibility

The definition of flexibility reads,"Responsive to change; Adaptable." Another is, "Capable of being bent without damage." Damage is a key word here.

A few weeks ago I wrote that, in all my adult life, I cannot recall ever stopping at a 'scenic overlook'. I was always in a hurry, to get to Pittsburgh, York, or wherever, and back home again, to go to work the next day. I wrote that I must make myself now stop and look at the Scenic Overlook.

Those who know me, know that the US State Dept has NEVER begged me to come to work for them because of my diplomatic skills.

Well, another attribute I must shed is rigidness. Time to relax. And bend without damaging myself. And adapt. Be "flexible."

So, this morning, after careful thought (albeit aided by a huge sleep deprivation and alcohol hangover), and consultation with Paul in Guatemala via Skype, I have canceled this afternoon's departure (which I was very excited about - my mind and heart are ready to go) and decided to linger a few days, to let some weather that I might have encountered 3 or 4 days from now, pass. Now, no one really knows what else is brewing after Saturday (read about the Chaos Theory http://www.imho.com/grae/chaos/chaos.html to learn why our meteorologists cannot accurately predict the weather beyond 3 days - why they don't really know where a hurricane is going to land until about 2 days before (they call it the 'cone'), and, yes, it may come a time when I am sitting here in Norfolk, buying Christmas lights for the boat, and wondering what my Christmas card should say, if I remain too flexible. But, some place in the middle, there must be a reasonable point.

Prudence says that I should wait. So, to prove to myself and others who may doubt, knowing me so well, that I have an ounce or 2 of prudence, I am going to shed my rigidness, and be flexible. And wait. I have plenty of little jobs to do, and an offer of a car to borrow, so I can be productive for a couple days.

So, the new departure date is Saturday, November 7th. I do not have enough 'layers' to wear if I wait much longer than that, and winter really sets in.

Please, God, I am already wearing out all of my flexibility and using up my prudence. Beginning to feel kinda impatient and hurried. Make the weather be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment