The Listing Photo

The Listing Photo

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Saturday Morning

The wind has finally stopped, although there is still a halyard tapping up there somewhere in the main mast, and peace has come to St. George's Bay. Calm. Phew, I needed that. Unfortunately it has brought rain, instead of sunshine, but that will pass soon enough. At least it is not blowing any longer.

So now I can begin my chores - getting the jib down, and folded, ready to take ashore - ANOTHER thing I have never done before, plunging the drain in the propane locker so it doesn't fill with water at each rainfall, I want to re-arrange some things on the stern so that I can travel with the outboards on the OUTside of the rails, as they interfere with the mizzen boom and sheet, and it is time to pull in the rode some, and get the boat anchored correctly. But must start with my normal morning routine, and get the batteries charging, and the reefer temp back down.

And then to shore. Cabin fever is at a fever pitch. Too long cramped here, with only an occasional venture out on deck, to be almost blown down by the wind gusts. And I will have to re-learn to walk on terra firma as well. I get a pretty bad case of sea legs, or so it seems so far. I look like I am drunk the first time I return to shore, staggering and tripping, and doorways and the like seem to jump AT me suddenly. Any of you who have spent tme on a boat, know what I mean, although it affects some more than others. (At least the seasickness that got me in the first few days out subsided, and, now should not return.)

Last night I opened the first can, of this entire trip, of my Bush's Vegetarian Baked Beans, which I love - a taste left over from dating a certain vegetarian Canadian - and made ginger ale with the Soda Club - all this thinking about Dark and Stormy's had me thinking ginger, I guess. With some crackers and cheese, and bread, I really enjoyed the simple meal. It made me drowsy, and I napped a bit, and then was into a bag of beef jerky, and ate the whole thing by bedtime. Woke up with a bad case of dry mouth about 4am.

Speaking of time, I have just learned that Bermuda is -4 hours UTC, not -5 hours, like the east coast of the US, so now I even have a clue about time, not that it matters much, but could in the future. I know I mentally threw the calendar away, too soon, and haven't worn a watch for months and months, but had better get with it now. I might need it sometime, like when a shop or business office opens or closes. Another thing learned.

If you follow this blog at all, you will notice a new box at the top. I searched online for a counter of some kind, to determine if this thing is worth the time and effort, although, I guess it is anyway just for my family. And, what better things do I have to do anyway, right now? But most of these website counters are for commercial applications so business can see and categorize website visitors. This one was about the simplest I found. It was not important to me where the people were located and it is not like I should expect an international following. But now, I feel like I am spying on others, collecting info on them. So much for privacy, right? I just wanted a simple counter! The worst part is that I have added it, but cannot find it located on any of the blog guides, formats, or HTML listing, to remove it if I wanted to. (I wanted to MOVE it to the bottom, actually, and have no idea how to find it at all now.) So, that is the story of the counter. Well, then hi and welcome to the American, Canadian, and Bermudan viewers!!! I am sorry I took your privacy away.

So, on to my little routine, a few chores, and then into town for some kind of fellowship - at the laundry? - and a real meal, sometime today, as well. I hope to try the restaurant at the Dinghy Club for a change, but have never walked into the place so don't know what I will find.

No comments:

Post a Comment