The Listing Photo

The Listing Photo

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Queen's Visit Day

The other day, with the help of Drake and newly arrived gf, Erin, I got the jib down and folded - thanks Erin - and tied up to put into the dink, for a ride ashore to the sail loft. Below, you can see the huge and rather heavy bundle sitting waiting, to be placed.......

here, in the dink, along side. It was so heavy, and awkward, that I even tied a rope on it, in case I dropped it overboard, instead of into the dink. And there was almost no room left in the dink for my big butt!
I have been struggling for 2 days on the Westerbeke generator. It is not putting out enough cooling water from the exhaust, and seems to overheat and shut down. I run it to charge the batteries, and to get the 110v AC refridgerator cold, which is a pain, and that is why I have bought a 12 volt system for both the fridge and the freezer. The 12volt systems will be automatic and run on the batteries. With the wind generator and the solar panels installed, with careful use of electricity, I may not have to run the generator at all someday. But for now, it is at least a once a day chore.
The way it works is this: The engine has an enclosed cooling system, with antifreeze and water, just like any other engine, but instead of circulating thru a radiator with a fan blowing air thru it, it goes thru a seawater heat exchanger; the seawater is sucked in thru a hole in the bottom of the boat with a valve, called a thru hull, thru a strainer to get out any trash or seaweed, and then once thru the heat exchanger, it is pumped out with the engine exhaust. When it is running correctly, it makes a regular and steady gurgle type noise as it exits at the stern. (It also serves to cool down the exhaust, as well.) BTW, the Perkins engine works the same way.
So, when it is not cooling properly, the engine has an overheat kill switch, and shuts down. The first thing to do is look into the sea strainer, for trash. Often, if it has shut down, the pump has been spinning with no water flow and you find it has eaten the blades of a rubber pump inpeller, and that is the job I have been doing - getting to the pump, removing it, and opening it to replace this impellor. Well, I got it all out last night, and the impellor is fine. And I have to put it all back together again, and then figure out what is impeding the water flow.
I dove on the boat the other day, quickly, with just a face mask and saw nothing sticking out of the thru hull from outside, but eventually, using the foot pump that fills the dink with air, was able to blast out the obstruction. Well, I guess it is not completely cleared, and now have to come up with another solution.
This is the raw water pump, removed and sitting on the salon table. I was disappointed to find the impeller in perfect shape, after all the work to remove the pump.
This is the Westerbeke, with the sound proofing cover removed on the front and top and rear.

There is another thru hull close by, which is piped to cool the air conditioners, and I am in the process now of removing its hose to compare the free water flow when I open each thru hull. if there is considerable more flow in the 2nd, I will re-pipe the generator hose into it. It is a real pain to get an old hose off of its fitting, as anyone who has worked on a car radiator or heater can tell you. And that is where I stand right now with the project.
On a brighter note, on one of my walks to the hardware store, yesterday, I took the camera and this is one shot of Annah Foster on anchor. She looks so lonely and vulnerable sitting there to me. I am just not used to leaving her alone yet, and always have a moment of apprehension when returning in the dink, if I cannot immediately spot her. It is just the same as locking your front door and driving to town, but imagine returning to find your house down on the other end of the street! She can move while I am away, if something causes the anchor to drag, and I am just going to have to get used to it.
A close up -
So, back to the trouble with the generator, and I am holding off running the engine for a couple reasons. It heats the engine room and I have to work in there, and I want to have some hot water for a shower, so I can get to shore for the queen's visit. So, check back, there might be a picture or 2 of Queen Elizabeth II.

No comments:

Post a Comment