The Listing Photo

The Listing Photo

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Such a beautiful day

Awoke to calm, glassy bay. Really enjoyed sitting on the back porch with my coffee and morning smoke. So beautiful and peaceful. But the water was being churned by a rush of boats to enter the lagoon, when the bridge is raised - only 3 times a day. So, each morning, particularly calm mornings, there is a parade of boats jogging and jockeying at the entrance, in wait for the bridge to rise and the green light to come on - it is only a one way bridge, so just because it is open, does not mean it is your turn. With the swell crashing against the rocks, it is scary to me to think about going in, or even trying to stand down there, keeping AF under control, and pointed towards the entrance, and then fight the tidal flow coming out merging with the waves going in, and threading the needle, as it were, getting my 13 ft wide boat through the tiny - tiny bridge opening - I think it is 13 ft .25 inches wide - at least in my mind.
At the junk store the other day, I bought some cheap wooden 5x7 picture frames for some family pics I have, so drilled them, and screwed them to the 'art' that was left on AF when I bought her. I have never cared for the pineapple motif, but could not do better and it is very tasteful, just not to my liking, so after removing one pineapple picture to make room for the plate holder and spice rack, the second, over the table in the salon is now covered with some pictures of mine. This way, I did not have to make any new holes in the teak walls.

I then opened the binnacle again, and put the digital camera inside and shot different pictures to try to get the model number of my Hynautic steering pump. Got good numbers, but cannot find any reference to them being correct. Huh! So, I don't understand. But it looks like the pump was manufactured in 1979, so is probably original, unlike the piston/ram which seems to be circa 1986. So, I have all the info for Wes, and Jean-Marc, at least all that I can gather.

Took a nice swim off the dink later, and it was refreshing for me - seemed a bit cooler today but saved me from a shower - HA! I heard on the Cruiser net, or the end of it, perhaps, a fellow saying that he and wife wanted to find a beach they could go to in their dinks. Gonna look into that, because it sounded great to me.

I dinked into town for a croissant with ham and cheese, cafe au lait, and then some kind of French fruit juice in a can, and did the internet stuff. Stopped at the grocery on the way home, returning at dusk for a glass of wine in the cockpit, with baguette and cheese. A very nice day.

Had a nice email from a fellow from Inner Harbor East Marina who is in Thailand right now - follows the blog when he can. Now, HE lives a great life! Here one week, and off to another exotic place the next.

Decided that I will take more pictures of just 'stuff' for you to see. Like dinghy docks, which are the parking lots for us cruisers. And the bridge, and the waves crashing at its entrance. Yesterday, coming back in the dink from the Dutch side, I took a wrong turn and got close to a bit of a hilltop where, in the fading light I could just make out a group of goats, just standing there, looking down. Not sure why they went up as there is certainly nothing more to eat at the rocky top than down below. Can you find the goats in this pic?


Unfortunately, bouncing in the dink is not a good tripod for a camera and the pics show no goats (well, I know where they are, or were). But I did mention that the French side had pretty sparse fireworks for New Year's Eve, relative to the Dutch side, and across the way in Anguilla. Well, last night about 8 they shot the rest of them off, scaring the heck out of me. Flash! BOOM! Thought I was under attack! But got a decent pic or two, even from a rolling deck.
Should add this little story: You know how lucky the US is, that our products are not only labelled in English, but also Espanol (touch #2 por Espanol). Well, the French do not feel so disposed. So, shopping is a bit of a challenge for me. (What could be the French for sour cream, and not soured cream? Do they even EAT sour creme?) So, tonight I saw what I believed was kinda like deviled ham, in small, peel back top cans, which should be a good thing to have aboard the boat. So, when I got home, after enjoying the sunset, I found I have a propane problem, and decided on a cold supper. So, I pulled out a can of Pate de Jambon, made by Belle France. I THINK jambon is ham, and pate is pate, right? Well, I sliced some baguette, and forked some of this onto a few slices. It tasted pretty good but gotta admit, it LOOKED and really SMELLED like the cat food we used to open for Cat and Sushi, back in Pittsburgh. I really, REALLY hope I just ate human food. And please don't tell me - if you know - that Belle France is their largest cat food manufacturer.
So, tomorrow, will try to find all of the parts for the wind generator and solar panels and start to read the instructions.
Meow.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment