The Listing Photo

The Listing Photo

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Chase, Yamaha, and Christmas Party

Two nights ago, the day after I slipped on the steps, I pulled the dink up and climbed in to clean that fuel filter, since it had really let me down the day before. It runs so consistently well, and then, for no apparent reason, starts acting up, and it is not something new. Has been like this since I bought the boat. But I cleaned the carb really well this summer in Pittsburgh, and it has been pretty reliable since I arrived here. (For non boaters, the dink is my car. It is the way to get to the store, or restaurant, or town. St George is a very cruiser friendly town, with a nice dinghy dock, and some businesses have one as well. When you live on anchor, you must have a reliable dink. ) So, I cleaned the filter, took a screwdriver and started playing with the mixture, idle speed, and even touched the timing just a bit, and for the first time, I thought it was purring wonderfully - the timing adjustment was a new fix for me. That night, I went over to the dink club with laundry, for supper and a few beers. It stalled as I arrived and was very hard to re-start. There was the local mechanic at the club, and he loaned me a screwdriver in case I needed it, with an appointment to see him the next day. I got her started again, and about 50 yards out of the club marina, she stalled again. At a certain speed she runs great, though. The seas were just too rough to go too fast. But, I got home OK.

When I was paying my tab at the restaurant, my Chase Visa was declined. I had just paid the bill online - I try to pay it twice a month. I used my debit, and left. When I got onto AF, late, with the engine troubles, I used Skype on a poor wifi connection to call them, and in 5 calls managed to glean that 1- the card was compromised 2- it was reported to Chase by a police agency 3-there were Netflix charges on it 4-there was nothing they could do but cancel it.

Yesterday, I took the the dink over to Bryan's dock on the south shore of the bay, with the 4hp aboard, in case I had to leave the 15hp. Bryan worked on it for over an hour, doing the same things that I do, and did, and finally was sure it was better. I said, "Put your money where your mouth is," and untied the painter and he took off in it. About 75 yards later, it failed. And failed again, and again, and again, and eventually, he disappeared from view, blown by the wind. He finally made it back, and the engine was offloaded and taken to his shop. We put the 4hp on and that is what I will use until Monday. Goes kinda slow in this wind, that is for sure.
I stopped at AF and got the Acer and went into Bermuda Yacht Service, to use Skype on their hi speed wifi, and called Chase. Nothing they can do but re-issue the card, and it will be weeks before I can get the new one after it is mailed to Florida, forwarded to me in some port, activate it, and be able to use it. Glad I have the Master Card hidden away. Did a bit of grocery shopping, came back to AF and put some nicer clothes on, with my rain gear over top, and went in to the Christmas Party.

This is a long shot from the south shore. AF is to the left.
A closeup of AF from the South Shore.
While waiting for Bryan to come back in the dink, they towed in the long aluminum boat, on the right. That is the smaller government tow/rescue boat on the left. This boat, from what I heard on the radio, had lost her steering like I had.
Very, very nice party, and met some new friends, but knew about a third of the folks there, from meeting at the Dinghy Club or other businesses. And, of course, the cruisers that I have met, as well. The young couple whose 28 Cape Dory lost its mast were there, and I congratulated them on getting the new one installed.

Drank a beer called Carlsberg Elephant, and found out why they chose the name. It is about 12 or 16% alcohol, and two make you tipsy, for sure. Guess if you drink too many, you feel like you were stepped on by an elephant the next day. Good traditional party food, and lots of fun and laughs. Left early though, before it got out of hand.

Below is Town Hall with Christmas lights. I was standing to the far right when I saw the queen.
Met a nice French couple on - what else? An Amel. They have invited me to visit, and have offered to ride along to the fuel dock with me, to fend and handle lines. Very nice. Older couple with decent English, although he asked her in French a few times to clarify what I said.
So, I am waiting for the 15 to be fixed. Bryan is as amazed as I am about it. He also thought he had it running perfectly. I think that it could end up being a flaky power pack, but he still things carb troubles. We shall see.......

No comments:

Post a Comment