The Listing Photo

The Listing Photo

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The jib is bent onto the furler now, thanks to Mack, one of my new Canadian friends. I helped them a bit yesterday morning, picked up the jib, did a bit of shopping, and then Mack and I came out to AF and got it properly installed. So, that is one job now complete. Mack is an interesting fellow, having traveled the world in the Canadian Navy, and was even a submariner for a time, I guess. His stories are so many, and varied, it is hard to place him at any one point in time, to what he was doing then. Child hood, navy career, and post career - he jumps around with such great stories and is full of knowledge of places, foods, sailing tips, and the like, it is like scanning through an encyclopedia. I appreciate his time and efforts here yesterday. A good, new friend.

I was going to take the bus to the capital today, to look around, but have decided to stick around and finish the steering, completely, and hopefully, successfully. We are in for some more bad weather, and I don't want to get caught on the capital streets in the rain. But I MUST get down there to see more of the island before my departure.

I picked up some squid bait yesterday, and will wet a hook again today, while working elsewhere on the boat, and hope to hear the rod jump and bang - it will be tied off - with dinner. Triggerfish is most common here where I am anchored and supposedly will have no scales, and a nice white meat for broiling a fillet. Almost too pretty to eat, though, eh? But the same bait could grab up a Grouper, and that would be fantastic, as they are great fighters, and even better suppers!
But not this big! Caught on a hand line, this fellow must have had an all day fight!
Oh, I almost forgot. A friend I made in Baltimore, but from up Pennsylvania way, with the schooner, Island Time sent me this photo so I could post it. Mike has been following the blog, and occasionally sends me the best emails, with lots of thought, and information, descriptions of things. They are always such a pleasure to read. We met in the rain outside the Irish Pub, the night I brought AF back from having her bottom painted in Annapolis, and caroused Fell's Point a bit for a few nights, and had a ball together. He is a thinking man, and we had such good talks together. Mike hopes to someday cut the dock lines and leave, but his work dominates his life today. He just put Island Time on the the hard for the winter, and is already suffering withdrawal pains, as being on a boat can be such therapy to many of us.

2 comments:

  1. That's no Triggerfish...that's a Baracuda!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dennis, Should you run into Kennedy McLeod of Far Star in Marigot Bay please give him my best wishes. I've been following his blog as well as yours and a few others. To jog your memory I was one of the crew on "Island Time" and we met at the Irish Pub in Baltimore.It was wet and cold. Best wishes, fair winds and following seas.

    ReplyDelete