The Listing Photo

The Listing Photo

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Preparing for Departure

I am preparing for departure tomorrow afternoon or Tuesday morning. While I was cleaning up a bit, it occurred to me to try this Google Earth Map image. It shows my path, so far, based on my positions I wrote in my SSB emails while enroute. At my furthest point south, I was 888 miles due east of the Georgia/Florida border, and my trip so far, has been about 800 nm or over 900 miles. I drifted for the 36 hours about 60 miles, and hand steered the boat with the emergency tiller, about 130 nm. Bermuda is 873 miles due east of Charleston, SC, so I lost all of the coast of Georgia coming here. I moved AF to the fuel dock today and filled up with fuel and some water, with the help of a French couple I had spoken to several times, but met formally Friday. Wonderful couple - he is a retired Air France pilot, who started his career on the old Caravelle jet and ended flying 747's. She is now an artist, and quite good. When they offered to help me weigh anchor and get into the fuel dock, I didn't know that he would have had 5 or 6 glasses of wine first, so he was a bit - shall we say - demonstrative? emphatic? French??? with his suggestions and recommendations, but it made it a lot more fun for me, and I laughed at most all of it. We dropped her off at the fuel dock from the dink, so she could take a line thrown when we got there, and then he and I rode out to AF, and got the anchor in - I had almost all of 300 feet of rode out. I made some turns to check the steering, and in we went (but not before he had a nice pee over the side - these French!), and it went perfectly, including the departure, with her aboard. Well, there were no loud crashes or even quiet scraping sounds, if you call that perfect! But was expensive fuel!

I brought AF over to the better anchorage, and now we are nestled amongst all the other boats, in a much more sheltered and shallow area. (Good thing, too, as I just heard 40 knot gusts forecast on Marine Weather, for either tonight or tomorrow night - not sure.) We shared a few glasses of wine, more, (it was a box wine I had bought at Denise's liquor store my last trip that way.) and I opened some Black Diamond Cheese I had frozen and sliced it up, and we had a good time visiting in my cockpit. They have invited me for an early lunch tomorrow, and there is a very good chance I shall try to depart and sail along with them, as we both are going to St Maarten - of course they are going in at the French side. They will out sail me, I am sure, but it will be fun to have a companion boat, even for a bit. Will see how long it lasts. They have a smaller Amel than Paul's, but she will out sail me I am sure in every way, AND I will be more conservative in my sail size.

So, much to do in preparation, including picking up my outboard, fixed or not. Will make one more entry before departure, and then will be offline for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment