The Listing Photo

The Listing Photo

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Hamilton Trip

I have put off sightseeing, because I felt there was important stuff to do, things to fix, and break, and fix again, here on AF. But my necessary trip to Immigration in Hamilton forced the issue, and so today I was a sightseer a bit.
Sandra at BYS - green bldg in previous post - told me yesterday to get up early and get on the bus, and be there when they opened, so that is what I did. The bay was glass when I left AF, and dinked in. It was the first time I locked the hatch! Really wanted to open up the dink and fly, but took my time. The all day bus pass was $12, and gets you on the ferry system as well, so after an hour's ride on what ended up being a crowded bus - I even offered my seat to a woman and stood the last 15 minutes - I stepped off at the bus terminal downtown. The ride was very nice and picturesque, and the drivers, both in and back, were amazing to thread the bus through some pretty narrow bends.
A couple blocks walk to the Federal Building and I had my number for the line. And was the next called, too. Met with a very nice, attractive, and very formal young lady who extended my stay here another 2 weeks. I was shocked when I heard the date - a couple days before Christmas. I HAVE to get out of here!
Scooter parking on Front Street, where I ordered a lot of booze, duty free, saving, perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 of US cost. It will be delivered to the Customs dock here, and I will pick it up when I am cleared to depart:


Walked out and found the Lemon Tree Restaurant, which 2 different men told me was a great girl-watching spot at lunch. I didn't get to hang around for noon but had a nice sandwich, which the fellow below wanted me to share:
And I wish the picture below showed better, but this old, very distinguished Bemudan came in, got a coffee and opened his paper, to be joined by the lady. But, after he lit a cigarette, I saw what is my image of an Old English Bermudan gentleman. Dressed to the 9's and very elegant. (The picture really was NOT taken to get the lady in the background, who was diligently reading some report, and making notes.)When I left, I had to hurry as I had to get to the ferry terminal for the trip to the Navy Yards; ferry departing at noon, where I walked about 5 blocks and turned around and rode back on the same ferry. It is just a tourist spot, and where the cruise ships tie up. And I had been told there was a West Marine type store there. Oh, well.
These photos below do not do justice to the beauty and elegance of the homes you see from the ferry ride.
I understand that Ross Perot and Michael Douglas have homes here, but have no idea where. Supposedly they can walk the streets without being accosted by fans or photogs here. Wouldn't mind bumping into Catherine Zeta-Jones on the street!
I heard some news relevant to the blog. I recently reported 2 boats in trouble. A Canadian, who has not been found, and a man with broken ribs, also single handing. He was reported to have been removed from his boat, and the boat left adrift. That was incorrect. The latest is that he refused the lift off the boat, and when it was located again a few days later, they found him in the cockpit, dead. BYS has just been hired to go out, locate, and bring in the boat. Should arrive tomorrow.
Met a fellow this evening on a 54 Hylas, from Charlotte, NC. He was a top manager, or possible partner, I think, with The Oxford Group, for whom I worked at one point, doing the plumbing on one of their condo projects. But he doesn't know the same folks that I know, if you understand me.
So, that is the end of another wonderful day - beautiful weather today - in Bermuda. Going to dink in and find the captain of the Charlotte boat, and have a beer. He sailed a Morgan 46 for 8 months, he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment