The Listing Photo

The Listing Photo

Monday, December 7, 2009

Monday

Well, let's see where to start. Generator is shutting off again, with a clogged thru hull. Wifi antenna took a dive yesterday, during a rain storm. And, now, I am really confused about the policy for immigration here.

When I arrived here, I thought that the lady said that I had 2 weeks, could come back to this local office to extend for another week. Another week would have to be requested down in Hamilton - a bus ride. So last Saturday, my 14th day here, I went over in really bad weather, by the way, and the man said, no no no, I had 3 weeks, not 2. So to extend, come back here next Monday. So, today is Monday, and I took my time to get over there, about 11 am, and I met the first jerk I have met in Bermuda. And he said that I had to go to Hamilton to get another week. I had had 3 weeks already, and that was that. So, without going into detail, I am getting up very early tomorrow, catching the bus to Hamilton, and will wait in queue and get this squared away.

After Immigration today, I used the wifi at the green building in previous post, and started a repair ticket with the company that made my wifi antenna.

Was sitting yesterday morning, in a storm, answering an email to Joyce, when the wifi failed. Re-loaded the drivers, tried it on the other laptop, and finally went out and brought the antenna down The silicone seal in the bottom was damp. Rain had gotten into the cabling inside the antenna. Could be that it is fried. I dug out the silicone with a dental pick and put the heat gun on it, and tried it again. It sees all the antennas, and their strength, but cannot log in. Great! So, I am back to dinking into town for internet.

The generator thru hull clogged and this time, the impellor self destructed. I am going to have to put either velcro or a zipper on the generator, if this keeps up. But, the freezer is cold again, and things are moving forward. A few posts ago, I put a picture of it, closed up, but this is it with the impeller blades chewed up.

The new one is installed, and pumping water. So that was my day.

I was hoping to move the boat across the bay for this next blow, but now I am going to Hamilton. And I wanted to catch a fish or 2, really sit and just fish, but that doesn't seem to be in my future now. I came to the Dink Club last night for a couple drinks and wifi, and met a former Piedmont pilot - Norfolk - who is based here with USAir now, rents here and owns a home in Florida. Very nice guy. Frank, a local character, and he and I bought each other a round, and had a lot of fun talking, and laughing and telling lies.

Trivia - Yesterday, I spoke with the owner of the fishing boat that was anchored near me the other day, and kept me aboard until it left. I told him I had awakened with a leg cramp. So, Rx is bananas, of course. But Jevon told me that it is bad luck to have bananas on a fishing boat. Never heard that before, so I asked Frank, the 3rd guy last night - used to be a charter captain and, now, all round raconteur, and found out why. Prior to departing on a fishing trip, Earnest Hemingway said something to the effect that 'What are you doing with bananas on board? We are fishing for Marlin, so we don't need any monkey bait.' And from that, it has become bad luck for a marlin fisherman to bring bananas in his lunch.

Enough for tonight. Will see how Hamilton trip goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment